Tuesday, September 8, 2009
I feel as if I haven’t slept in days. I know it has a lot to do with everything that is going on with my father and the drive back and forth to Boston, but I’m also convinced that being in a big city somehow drains you. Even though I’ve been back in the country now for two and a half days I still feel like I haven’t had a chance to catch my breath. My children were in school all day and I took the opportunity to touch base with my other professors while I was here. All that running around and now we’ll sit down to diner in a few minutes, I’ll have an hour or two to spend with them before bed time, and then in the morning I’ll be heading for Boston again. Hopefully this time the surgeon will actually perform the heart surgery and I won’t have to watch my mother and father go through the tense waiting and then extreme disappointment, again. Each day that goes by we also have the worry that my father will have a heart attack that he won’t be able to recover from. Thursday, that’s the day for surgery, that’s the day for a miracle.
I have a wonderful family of six kids, with a fiancĂ© who is more wonderful because he’s willing to take on everything it takes to run our household so I can be with my father and mother in this difficult time. Speaking of that wonderful family I will have to stop writing here as I have an important appointment with a pot roast, conversation, and smiles.
I've been with relatives in the hospital in the big city and know how time seems to both stretch endlessly and disappear completely in those hospital rooms. Home, when you return to it, almost seems exotic and foreign in its ordinariness after being on call for 3 or 4 days in a row.
ReplyDelete