Friday, September 11, 2009
We went in and saw my Dad last night, at least my mother and I did. My brother doesn’t like to see people in the hospital, especially people he loves, in a weakened state, I’ve come to terms with this over the years but even so there’s that little voice in my head that calls him selfish each time he runs away. At least he stayed long enough to hear that our father was going to be ok. The doctors told us that Dad wouldn’t know we were there, they still had him ‘under’, but this visit wasn’t really for him, it was for us, so we could see for ourselves that he was ok. Now we’re visiting him around noon of the next day and he’s in and out – still feeling the effects of the heavy sedation. “How do you feel?” my mother asked.
“Mmph” is all he said.
I had to say something, something that would maybe make him feel better, as if that were possible, “They said your surgery went great…”
“No pump?” he hoarsely whispered, and you could tell the voice came from the edge of the fog inside his brain.
My mother and I replied in unison “No pump…” and I added, “Your hearts beating all on its own!”
He sighed and was back to sleep. My Dad looked so frail at that moment, and oddly enough I found myself so very proud of him.
Nice that he had a question from the fog that connected exactly to what you knew and what everyone was worried about. Last time I was under and came up, my wife says that my only remark concerned the spinach she apparently had glued to her face. Or that's how it seemed to me anyway....
ReplyDeleteYes, we had heard that there may be some hallucinations waiting for him when he came to, but to my dismay he reported that he had none. They would have made for very good story-telling! My Dad is a very logical and practical man...even under the influence!
ReplyDelete